Monday 28 July 2014

Preserved Roasted Capsicum


As a young girl I would spend long summer holidays at my grandmother's farm, they would be my most fond childhood memories. My grandmother would roast Capsicums each morning for breakfast for us children and would be accompanied with some fresh cow's or goat's milk.

Well I don't own a cow or a goat but I have access to capsicums and roasted capsicums are a staple in our fridge but I wanted to preserve them and I have been lucky enough to have a friend like Rosa my favourite Italian nonna, she has been able to inspire me and help me to have our own little batch of preserves.

A couple of weeks ago I preserved roasted capsicums  for the first time, they are so delish and Rosa tells me that the flavour will be even better as the weeks and months go by.

These are so easy and delish to make they will make the best present for anyone and for you to eat with anything and everything.

Enjoy.
Karla

ROASTED CAPSICUM

1kg red capsicum
1 cup olive oil
1/4 red wine vinegar
2 garlic cloves - thinly sliced
a good pinch of salt and pepper

METHOD

1. sterilise jars and let them dry

2. cut capsicums in half remove seeds and white bits.

3.char grill them on the BBQ or oven grill until skin becomes black

4. place them in a bowl and cover with cling wrap to allow them to sweat for approx. 15 minutes then remove the skin as best as you can.

5. While the capsicums are sweating prepared the vinaigrette by mixing the olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic cloves, salt and pepper whisk them all together.

6. Place the roasted capsicum in jars and fill with the vinaigrette making sure there are no air bubbles and are filled right to the top.

and VIOLA!!!! you have made preserve roasted capsicum

They should last 6 months to 1 year in the fridge.


HOW TO STERILISED YOUR OWN JARS.

I usually sterilise them in the hottest setting in the dishwasher but you can also sterilised the bottles in the oven at 150 degrees for 30 minutes.

make sure bottles do not touch and let them dry fully before placing the preserve in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment